Weaning Bean, 40 Days and 40 Nights

I am not sure if deciding to publically document my weaning journey was smart. I really didn’t think it would be this hard to stick to. The past couple weeks have been a whirlwind between Bean being sick, me starting my new fulltime job, and Christmas, it has been a real challenge to have any kind of consistency. Bean will be two I 16 days! I am about to have a panic attack.

For the most part we have been nursing at bedtime and a couple times during the night. He will occasionally nurse first thing in the morning but I am for real about to stop that (again). Nap time nurse sessions have been missed because I have been at work every day. So that’s a good thing! Although, when I am home on the weekend, he acts like he can not fall asleep to nap with out the “Night-night”. I actually went 27 hours without nursing him this past weekend. He stayed the night at my parent’s house and I worked a 12 hour shift the following day. I did not leak the entire time! This is the longest I have ever gone without leaking milk through my shirt. My cut backs must be working! Bean has also told me 3 or 4 times now “Night-night all gone” after nursing. My supply is going down! I am hoping to use this in the final stretch to have him think that there is no more milk.

Day 21

Christmas Eve

I nursed Bean to sleep in the daybed in his room. With in 10 minutes of me getting into my own bed he was up hollering. SMH. I did not move and my husband threw the covers back and went to his room. Yes! (He’s been out of town for work so it is nice to have some help!) He kept crying and seemed to cry even louder when he realized it wasn’t me who came to his room. “Mommy! Mommy!” he wailed. He was screaming for about 3 minutes and then silence. I layed in the bed wondering what had happened. Had my husband finally had enough of Bean’s crazy antics? I strained my ears to hear the faintest sound and heard none. Well, the mama in me just had to see why Bean had suddenly stopped crying. I crept to the nursery and peeked through the door to see my husband standing there, swaying and humming to Bean. I snuck back into the bed and went to sleep. It took my husband another 40 minutes or so before he could lay him down but he did it. Bean slept the rest of the night.

Day 22


Bean was too busy playing with toys to nurse! He had his hap time “Night-night”. He fell asleep that night with out nursing and when he woke up the next morning my husband went to him and they sat on the couch and watched Dinotrux.

Merry Christmas to Mama!

Day 24


Bean woke up at 6:50 this morning . I was already up in the kitchen and he came in there. He started asking for food, cookies, and juice. When I said “No” to the junk food he came up to me and said “I’m sleepy.” I was happy because I wanted him to sleep until 9:00. I asked him if he wanted to go back to sleep and he looked at me solemnly and nodded his head yes. So of course this means that I need to nurse him back to sleep but I’m willing to if it means another couple hours of free time for me. So I took him to my room and we nursed. He seemed like he was going to sleep but I couldn’t see his eyes. After about 7 or 8 minutes I saw they were wide open. I asked him “Are you going to sleep?” and he popped his head up and grinned ear to ear. He is so much smarter than I am.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s